The Truth about Omega 3’s for Dogs
Do you know there is a type of fat essential to the health and well-being of your dog?
They’re called omega 3 fatty acids and they affect your dog from head to tail at the cellular level.
Omega 3 fatty acids are often called the “good fats” and they include 3 essential fats that go by the names Alpha-linolenic acid (ALA) Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA)
They also inhibit the development of prostaglandins. Left unchecked, prostaglandins can lead to chronic inflammatory diseases like arthritis.
In this article, I’ll share about the health benefits of these essential fatty acids and how you can get more of them into your pet’s diet.
They’re so important they affect your dog’s health from:
- Skin and Coat
- Vision Health
- Brain Health
- Heart Health
- Joint Support
I told you they were important! There’s truly no part of your dog’s health that doesn’t benefit from omega 3 fatty acids.
Let’s take a closer look at the ways these essential fats impact your pet’s health.
7 Ways Omega 3 Fatty Acids Contribute to Your Dog’s Health
- Omega 3 Fatty Acids Feed Your Dog’s Skin Does your dog have chronic hot spots (exposed skin that’s red and irritated?) Usually your dog likes to lick or chew these areas which only make them worse. Skin problems are often diet related. Often, the simple addition of omega 3’s in your dog’s diet can cure chronic itchy skin within a few weeks.
- Improve Your Pet’s Coat – Healthy dogs have shiny, soft fur. Dogs who get an adequate amount of Omega 3 fatty acids have a soft, healthy coat.
- Great for Joint Support – Whether you have a growing puppy or a senior dog, joint support is important. Omega 3’s keep the fluid flowing within the joint socket so your pet’s joints move easier. They also reduce inflammation so older dogs feel more spry.
- Vision Health – They keep the retina and visual cortex strong. Omega 3’s also improve circulation and blood flow which means more nutrients gets to your dog’s eyes.
- Boost The Immune System –– Everyone needs a strong immune system. Omega 3’s “feed” your dog’s entire body at a cellular level which makes your pet stronger. They can even help with allergies because the presence of allergies indicates a weakened immune system.
- Heart Health – Research shows omega 3’s can prevent ventriculararrhythmias (abnormal heart rhythms) and reduce blood pressure. Yes, even dogs can have high blood pressure.
- Weight Loss –Research shows that getting a balanced diet with omega 3’s can even help your pup lose a few pounds. As you may be aware, it only takes 2-3 extra pounds on your pup to contribute to health problems like diabetes.
As you can see, omega 3 fatty acids truly ARE essential to your pup’s health! Yet, you might not realize that your dog’s body isn’t able to actually produce them. Instead they need to get them from the food they eat.
You may see that a lot of packaged dog foods have added omega 3 fatty acids. That’s a good start but the nutrients in highly processed food like kibble are typically old and even a little rancid by the time your dog eats it.
Here’s an Alternative Source for Omega 3’s:
A better alternative to sourcing Omega 3’s from processed dog foods is something fresher. Why not, something like a nutrient dense treat that happens to be high in protein and omega 3 fatty acids.
Doesn’t that sound good?
You’re an educated and concerned pet parent. What if I let you in on a little-known secret? A secret about a high quality, omega 3 rich source of dog treats?
See, a lot of pet parents like you are interested in a good quality pet treat, one they feel confident about in its origins. One that’s not dangerous like certain dog chews or contaminated like some treats.
Like you, I’m one of those concerned pet parents. Back in 2008, I lost my Staffordshire Terrier “Bear” to liver disease. It turned out it was caused in part by toxic treats. Obviously, I didn’t know the treats were toxic but by the time I found out, it was too late.
Heartbroken, I declared I’d protect other pet parents from a similar fate.
I began researching dog treats. I found that many of them were unsafe or indigestible – rawhide for example.
So I set out to create something different. I wanted it to be healthy. I wanted it to be as pure as possible with no additives. What I discovered was that free-range kangaroo fillets are a perfect dog treat.
They’re grass-fed, they’re rich in nutrients – including omega 3’s and they’re pure meat.
Dogs love them.
This all natural, easy to grab, treat, is a locally made snack (100% Australian made) that will not only prevent you from burning a hole in your wallet buying expensive supplements and oils, but will also give you a quick treat that will keep your dog happy and healthy. Try some today!